City Connects is expanding to six turnaround elementary/K-8 schools in Springfield, Mass., for the 2011-12 academic year. This marks City Connects’ first expansion outside of Boston since its inception a decade ago. Through its Race to the Top allocation, Springfield Public Schools chose us as a partner to provide student support in its transformation elementary and K‐8 schools, and we are thrilled that the school year will soon be underway! Read the release (pdf) on our website here.
Category: Springfield Public Schools
Back-to-School by the Numbers
Over on the Washington Post Answer Sheet blog, Valerie Strauss has compiled a bunch of interesting data pertaining to back-to-school. A few highlights:
- 55.5 million: Number of students predicted to be enrolled in pre-k through grade 12 this fall
- 43%: Percentage of students (elementary through high school) who belonged to a minority population in 2009
- 23%: Percentage students (elementary though high school) who had at least one foreign-born parent in 2009
- 11.2 million: Number of children (age 5-17) who spoke a language other than English at home in 2009
- 31.3 million: Average number of children participating each month in the National School Lunch Program in 2009
Here’s a look at City Connects by the numbers at the beginning of the 2011-12 academic year:
- 21: Total number of City Connects schools. We’ll be expanding beyond Boston for the first time, where we’ll be in 15 schools, to serve 6 turnaround elementary schools in Springfield, Mass.
- 7,500: Using numbers from the 2010-11 school year, we project that we’ll be reaching about 7,500 students total in Boston and Springfield, which is roughly 20% of each district’s total elementary enrollment.
- 5: Number of days our School Site Coordinators are spending at our annual summer professional development institute, which is underway now!
The first day back to school in (most) Boston elementary schools is Thursday, Sept. 8; Springfield public elementary schools open Monday, Aug. 29. We’re excited for this school year to get underway!