Last night, Boston Public Schools (BPS) presented five proposals that would overhaul the school assignment system. Their goal is that students can attend schools closer to home and that elementary schools will be better connected to middle and K-8 schools nearby.
You can review all five proposals here, where BPS has a survey for feedback on the plans. According to BPS:
- Families would apply to schools within their Home Zone and could also select citywide schools as options
- BPS would place the most common programs required by students with disabilities and by English Language Learners in schools closer to where these students live
- BPS will offer options outside of a student’s Home Zone to which they may apply
- High schools will remain citywide
- Any new plan would be phased in, which means the school choice process for the 2013-14 school year will be similar to what families are used to today
A series of community meetings are planned to discuss the proposals, see the schedule here.
For more information:
Boston Public Schools (BPS) released the findings of a survey issued to parents/caregivers about the school choice system. To increase transparency about the student assignment process, the raw data is now posted on a special BPS website focused on school choice: www.bostonschoolchoice.org.
The Boston Globe analyzed the dozen reports now posted on the site and concluded that “parents across Boston want schools that offer strong academics and a safe environment close to home. But their priorities differ based on where they live … Residents of Charlestown, downtown, parts of Dorchester, East Boston, and West Roxbury are more likely to say they want their children to attend a school in their neighborhood. Those in Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Mattapan and Roxbury prioritize safety over proximity.”
BPS is planning to host a series of community meetings to discuss the data:
- Tuesday, August 28, 6:30-8pm: Tobin Community Center (in the Tobin Community Room), 1481 Tremont St., Roxbury
- Thursday, August 30, 7:30-9pm: Hyde Park Community Center Auditorium, 1179 River St., Hyde Park
- Wednesday, September 12: Location and time to be announced
Last spring, the Boston Globe began a series on BPS’s school choice system called “Getting In.” Check out our posts about the series here:
For more information: